Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Pilates in Japanese

Who am I to turn down a ratio of 17 women to 2 men? That was my dilemma when I showed up to learn eisa drumming, but instead found the first of six pilates courses scheduled over the next couple months.

The misunderstanding on my part was first explained by a Japanese woman whom I didn't recognize but who spoke English fairly well. Being a veteran resident of Zamami, I boldly asked, "who are you?" She's a visitor from Gunma [prefecture, left of Tokyo] here for five days. Attractive, too, which gave me two excuses to take the mat next to her.

Two hours and forty minutes later when pilates ended I felt similar to how I feel after yoga classes: unchanged. I always suspect that I am not doing things correctly and I have never felt so sure of that as I did tonight. I think the explanation and process of getting to a position is important, but hard to grasp in a foreign language.

But I needed to get out. There are so many evening activities in Zamami and it's time to start partaking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

try using weights with your pilates. fold a 10 lb over your chest with the sit ups and bicycles, that should help add resistance.