Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Japanese Suburbs

My favorite thing to do while staying at the language school on the outskirts of Osaka was to take a bike after classes and ride the neighborhoods. There were some really old houses in immaculate condition (fine woodwork on the gates and doors) and fun little alleyways to explore. Occasionally I was able to sneak a peek into some of the gorgeous gardens inside the gates, too.

The tract housing was what really caught my eye, though. For some reason it surprised me. I thought it was only an American thing. The difference here, though, is that this mass-housing is built near train stations (or rather, train stations are built near everything). While cars are in most driveways, they aren't necessary for travel into Osaka.


[Better hope your neighbor isn't going to the backyard while you're going to the front]


1 comment:

Son of Higashi said...

Ah, a new layout! Looks pretty slick.
I also like the title of the "Links to other Cool People" section you've got there.