Saturday, October 4, 2008

Zamami Matsuri

Anybody thinking of visiting Zamami, mark this week on your calendar as a good time (that would be assuming I stayed for a third year). Zamami Matsuri (festival) was last night and it's our largest 'cultural' event of the year. All the groups prepare their biggest shows for the night. The groups include hula, taiko drumming, eisa, traditional Okinawan (Ryukyu) dance, and our band, The Mammy's.

It was my second eisa performance, but no less nervy than the first in July. Our music was provided by sanshin player from Naha, which was awesome. A lot more traditional than a cd. Unfortunately I made many mistakes, especially during the fourth song which I co-led with the other guy (we had eight girls and two guys). But.. whatever, it was a lot of fun. At least I didn't put a hole in my drum this time.

Here are some pictures I took of the elementary students, who performed before the sun went down:







No comments: