Thursday, November 1, 2007

All Saints Day.. err... Halloween again.



American holiday media bombardment doesn't exist in Japan, so November 1st is just as good a day to celebrate Halloween as was yesterday. And it turned out I had two elementary classes to lesson-plan for today, so we continued the Halloween theme.

I did the requisite 11-20 review, emotions, and days of the week, then went into Halloween Bingo and, since I didn't bring any prizes, a paper cutout pumpkin prize! The students enjoyed coloring for a bit and I enjoyed watching and doing something other than worry about how much English they're learning. It was a nice moment to step back and recall a message during the August elementary training: don't worry about how much they learn, just make English fun.

When I got home to Zamami I had to take care of my downed internet. Not an easy task to try and translate "Authentication failed" to my supervisor, Kiyoko. She tries her hardest to make our conversations work without electronic help, but she went quickly to Yahoo's translation page for this one. I can usually read through the choppy translation to get the point, but I was lost on this one:

"The internet is in a condition that I was sharp so documents do not arrive."

No matter, the internet was back up a half-hour later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

was she trying to be funny in the translation? sounds like sarcasm to me (The internet was in a condition as I was: sharp, so documents did not arrive. Sharp being the opposite of tired or dead, hence the sarcasm)