Friday, November 2, 2007

Taiko Drumming



I'm sure there are many different kinds of drumming in Japan, but to us Okinawans there are two: eisa and taiko. Eisa is Okinawan drumming that differs primarily from mainland Japanese taiko because of the movement involved. The eisa drums are strapped around the neck and the troupe of drummers dances as part of the performance. These differences are not wikipediaed; they are purely my observations.

In my three months here I've seen tons of eisa and fortunately have not tired of it yet. The energy is inspiring. Taiko performances are rarer, but I've seen a couple. Currently Geruma is practicing taiko for a 'school play' next weekend. School play is in quotes because I'm unsure if that was the correct translation.

Enjoy the pictures but know the sound is amazing. I am contemplating the idea of learning how to take and upload video as a blog supplement. Maybe I'll do that after I learn Japanese...

No comments: