Thursday, July 3, 2008

Swallowing Spiders

Have you ever heard the urban myth that you swallow three spiders during your sleep each year? Well, just in case it’s true, rest assured that I took care of your quota last night. I noticed this spider in my big tatami room and was curious about that big ‘plate’ she was clutching beneath her.



It didn’t take much time to determine that plate had been holding her thousands of babies, which were now crawling all over my apartment. They were everywhere, but also small enough that I wasn’t too concerned with swallowing them.




6 comments:

Cliff said...

I get those big ones every now and then. They don't bother me because I hear they eat cockroaches. But thousands of little babies...that's just sick.

Amy said...

EW. pretty soon those baby spiders are going to grow up to be like the big momma spider. And then you'll have webs all over your apartment. EW.

Anonymous said...

Wait...and this is your new apartment?!

Dave said...

ha, yes, this is my new apartment! and i had a giant cockroach climb out of the shower drain this morning. but no worries, it's nothing compared to the old house...
does anybody know about these spiders? I've had a couple in my apartment but i haven't found any webs yet. do these spiders not make webs? if they do i'll soon have my own personal silk factory.

Cliff said...

I have never seen one from a web. I would say maybe they don't?

Wren said...

Those look just like the ones we had in Palmyra, with the egg sac and everything. Do these guys jump if you chase them across the room? I know I got bit by one or two in the night back in the day and I survived.