Sunday, October 12, 2008

Geruma's Great English


This was my schedule on Geruma last week. During my weeks on Zamami and Aka I teach each elementary class just once. I've usually taught two of each class on Geruma as they really like to make use of the English teacher. But when the new teachers came in April the 3/4 teacher started scheduling me three times a week (I didn’t mind, she’s attractive). Then this week she went crazy and scheduled me four times in four days. And the sixth grade teacher apparently thought that was a good idea. The junior high JTE was lenient on me and didn’t schedule anything, but usually I would have two each of 8th and 9th grade classes (or junior high 2 and 3, as it's known in Japan).

The kanji you see on Wednesday and Thursday is for you-chien (kindergarten). That teacher always schedules me twice. It works, her kids know the alphabet (the three-year-olds have already picked up half of it), colors, fruits, vegetables, basic emotions, and most of the days of the week. This is why the English level on Geruma is amazing.

No comments: