Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Another Day, Another Year

A year ago my JET application was in the hands of the Japan Embassy while I readied myself for a third year (one too many) working with high schoolers in DC. My future was uncertain, which is the most comfortable place for me.

Last night I hung out with two lesbians in a surprise "we're all crashing our friend Laura's apartment while she's in Bali" coincidence that led to spontaneous decision-making inspired by a later-than-usual bedtime. We wandered over to Kokusai Dori, which is the "International Street," or the place where the lights and tourists stay up late. It became apparent after we stole a few minutes at the Starbucks bathroom that everybody on Kokusai was headed in the same direction. We arrived at the major intersection two minutes ahead of the countdown and were fortunate to witness naked people, rowdy military, people-watching high school girls (awed and embarrassed by the lesbians kissing), and people who had enough alcohol consumption to make standing up difficult.

2007 was the year of floss for me. That was my New Year's resolution and I succeeded when the dentist told me in August there was nothing more I could do to improve the health of my teeth. 2008: learn Japanese.

No comments: