Sunday, January 13, 2008

The "You're Twenty-Years-Old This Year" Party


[This picture is a great example of why I mostly photograph women/girls.]

I finally ironed my suit and was very glad I did as not a single person in attendance at today's Seizin Shiki party was dressed in less than professional attire. The party is to celebrate the 'coming of age' of these five people who are of Zamami descent. Today was the first time I have seen women wearing kimonos in Japan (except performances)!

Shortly after arriving a older gentleman who speaks English approached to introduce himself and tell me I was to give a speech about Jesus Christ. (Panic button!) This ceremony was obviously formal and his page of notes indicated he was serious. He had some bible passages written in English and he proceeded to translate them into Japanese for me while translating some Japanese text on the page into English. I paid close attention, trying to assess what he wanted out of me. When he appeared finished I asked "What do you want me to say?" He corrected the misunderstanding and said he only needed me to make sure the English in his notes was proper. Whew.

The afternoon was filled with traditional mainland Japanese and Okinawan dances and drumming, hula, and many humorous mockery dances.

When I mentioned in my JET interview a year ago that I was interested in observing gender roles in Japan, I never expected that I would encounter discrimination against me. But today for the second time, I have had to pay more for an event because I am male. I think the assumption is that I am going to eat or drink more than a woman. Eating more is probably a safe bet. Today I paid 1500 yen while women paid just 1000 yen, but everybody was given one canned beverage and had access to the same trays of hors d'oeuvres on the tables.

I often get a little internally angry/frustrated at the treatment of women in this society, but I was internally furious at this blatant and meritless discrimination.

As long as I continue being charged more than women for my food, I will continue to argue that men should get paid more than women for the same job. Perhaps I'll write a letter to JET about that - I'm sure they'd be receptive!


1 comment:

nchan said...

cool! i've never been to a seijinshiki. thanks for posting pictures!

i'm curious to hear more about the gender interactions you're talking about...as someone who is considering moving to japan in the far future. although i imagine there might be some differences between zamami and mainland japan.