Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sabani Weekend


This is a really big week on Zamami due to this weekend’s Sabani race. There's a yacht race on Saturday from Naha to Zamami, then a big party Saturday night. On Sunday, the Sabani race starts on Furuzamami Beach (the famous one) on the east side of Zamami and goes all the way to Naha, some 20+ miles away.

Sabanis are big canoes that are also rigged to sail. I don’t know much about them but assume they were the form of ocean transport back in the day. The real ones are made of wood; some of the newer, cheaper boats are formed from fiberglass. The trick is to have powerful paddlers but also people who know how to sail.

[team Que Sera Sera, the favored Zamami women's team]

I have been completely absent from the Sabani scene, which is a bit unfortunate. I wasn’t real aggressive about joining a Sabani team because I knew I’d probably be recruited to paddle the whole way. I would be okay with that except I am looking forward to photographing the start. But I also have another big event this weekend that I've been spending many weeknights practicing for: my eisa drumming debut Saturday night.

No comments: