Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Barely Alive



Ever since learning to take my pulse in 4th grade P.E, I've been fascinated with that measurable piece of equipment that keeps me alive. Acquiring a heart rate monitor for proper recording has been an unjustifiable dream for many years. Until. At an REI Garage Sale a couple years back I found what I think was a mismarked Suunto HR watch ($70). I snagged it and have been swaying between keeping it (I already have a Suunto altimeter watch that grew into my wrist during the PCT hike) and Ebaying it.

This weekend I'm running the first of two confirmed (registration fees paid) marathons this winter. I've been keeping track of the statistics of every run, including my heart rate average and range and altitude range and high point. Since my choice in runs varies between two-three choices, the elevations are consistent. But my pace determines the HR average, which is fun to follow.

For example, on August 24th, I ran a route that I have since approximated to be 13km to the east end of the island and back. It took me 1:13.18 with a 149 heart rate average and a range of 73-179. I ran the same route this morning and it took me 1:14.58 with a 123 heart rate average and a range of 65-158.

The other notable comparison is my resting heart rate. When I began training the lowest I could get it to rest consistently was 38 beats/minute, which is not unusually low for me. I think the lowest I measured with a finger on a pulse during my crew years was 37 - and we all know that the finger and the mind increase the pulse slightly. This morning, for the first time ever, I caught a glimpse of my pulse at 34 beats per minute. Tonight I tried to replicate relaxation to get a photograph, but I could only get it to 36 and by the time I'd get the camera up it would jump to 37.

My next two goals are (1) to get a picture of the watch recording my heart rate at 34 and see if it is actually resting that low and (2) to record my heart rate during a night's sleep to see what the low end of the range dips to. I am sketchy on my battery power right now so I'm going to wait until after the race to do this.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Perhaps, you could strap your wrist to the bed, then position your camera to take a picture of your wrist once an hour. Then try to get the most relaxed sleep you could, say by thinking about not being tied to your bed.

Anonymous said...

that is quite an impressive resting heart rate you have there. you are gonna live forever...