Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A Case of the Tuesdays


I took the boat from Zamami to Aka this morning, where I was picked up by a woman from Geruma whose name I don't know and who speaks to me only in Japanese. I pass the 5 minute drive by pretending to look up words she says.

My arrival at Geruma was a surprise to Ayano, my English teacher counterpart. She forgot I was coming. She hurriedly put my schedule together. When I saw it, I was pleased to see she had scheduled me for no classes today, but instead had drawn a line through the day. I assumed she must have just given up on troubling herself with asking teachers to reschedule.

In fairness, I was working on lesson planning when the 3rd graders came to get me. It was strange since I had no classes, but I went into the hall with them, thinking they wanted to play. It must have seemed like I was stalling, which, had I known what was going on, I would've been doing. It turns out I had class with them right then. The line through Monday on my schedule was because yesterday was Monday and it was a national holiday. So I quickly grabbed what I could and spent the 1 minute walking to class with them trying to figure out what we'd do for 45 minutes. I decided my main event would be a Battleship-type game I'd just made on the computer, called Bombs Away. The irony of the name of the game didn't hit me until now, but it was a bit of a bomb. The three students understood the 'B-7' concept, but didn't get the 'hit/miss' idea or why they had drawn ships on their paper. Maybe incorporating elements of war into my English lessons is a bad idea here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thankfully you are teaching young children who do not know and will hopefully not remember the ironic "bombs away" lesson of the american english teacher. did any parents call you? :)