Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Convenient Environmentalism


My Naha friends came out this weekend and reminded me that I haven't been around Americans in awhile.
We went on a long walk/swim/beach exploration Sunday before their departure. We returned midday when it was quite hot. When in the final alley approach to my house, Laura announced she was going to the store to get something to drink and asked if we wanted anything. I declined because (1) water is free and (2) one-time use plastic bottles are wasteful. But Shu said, "yea, get me some water, please." In situations like this, I don't know what to do. I was already being a bit argumentative this weekend, so I tried a less aggressive approach and sparked conversation with Laura about whether she refilled the plastic bottle at my house and returned it to the refrigerator. She had, so there would be over a liter of cold water waiting in my fridge. The conversation changed direction but as we separated Shu reminded Laura to buy her some water. At my house I drank my free cold water while they sipped half their bottle and let the rest warm.

So what's the answer? This little skit angered me some, but frustrated me more. Tactful suggestion of less wasteful behavior didn't work. How do I effect change? I have always thought leading by example to be most effective, but I never feel like my example is reason for anybody to be inspired.

2 comments:

erin said...

your blog, of course, is beautiful. you have NO IDEA how maddening it is to live in a country where people litter constantly and have no qualms about waste. I was actually laughed at the other day for re-using a yogurt container to bring my lunch to school. some of my American friends have "given up" and started littering themselves... don't worry, i promise not to loose my soul.

Anonymous said...

i agree with the course of action you took, except for the getting angry part. people can tell when you are being critical of them and if they were honestly just not thinking about the waste then there is no reason to be angry, they were being ignorant, but your scorn will not help. you can't control people, especially not with judgment. keep setting examples and keep educating. it does help!