Sunday, March 30, 2008

Let's Die!

This morning I woke up at 1am to the sound of crashing rain. 'Crashing' is the only word I can think of that isn't a cliched way to describe a monstrous downpour. Maybe 'monstrous downpour' would have worked.

Seven hours later, at 8am, it came to an end. This is easily the most waterlogged I have seen Zamami. Our dam was overflowing via the spillway and so were all the foot-deep gutters built for heavy rain.

I wandered around the village assessing damage before making the best discovery in my own yard. I went to check on the kittens and they were all dead! It might have happened from exposure, but I choose to think that they drowned.

THEN, I found out my neighbor died yesterday! Unfortunately it wasn't the right one. It was the male (I'm not sure if he was her husband or companion or..?). He was a pretty cool guy who would give me a wink and a nod when he caught me throwing things at the cats. I think he was equally against them.

So there was a funeral today. I checked if I should go and I'm glad I got the no-go-ahead. I would've had to wear a suit and probably give money and maybe confront my nemesis.

Now, with five less beings between us, we march on: me, the cats, and her.

No comments: