Wednesday, March 26, 2008

How Are You? I'm Sleepy.

For the past two mornings I have been waking up at 4am to take advantage of a brief break in our usual windy weather. The forecast had Tuesday and Wednesday showing winds as either light or 5-6mph, something I have only seen once since last summer. Perfect for kayaking and fishing. Unfortunately I still have to go to work, though now that school isn't in session the start time of work is somewhere between 8am and 9am. So, 9am.

I wake up at 4am, walk really fast to my kayak, paddle really fast across a bay, and begin fishing at 5:20am or so. I fish until 7am, then paddle and walk even faster to get home by 7:50am. After a shower and hurried breakfast I take a brief nap before struggling through the rest of the day.

But it's worth it. The 6:30am sunrise on perfectly flat, quiet water is serene. I've enjoyed the companionship of countless turtles. Today I had a fish make a halfhearted attempt at my lure and later I saw a mahi-mahi jump three different times. And today I forced a break in the fishing to take pictures just for the blog:



2 comments:

Wren said...

There is a 4 o'clock in the morning!?!

Dave said...

you need only look outside at 1pm to experience it.