Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Teacher Switchover

Japan has an interesting school system for many reasons, but the most obvious difference (aside from not having a Real summer break) is that teachers switch schools every few years. In Okinawa every teacher has to teach at an island school at least once during his/her career. For many, this is not ideal. They have family or a house or a life on mainland Okinawa. They don't dig fishing, diving, photography, and small beautiful islands like I do. This is especially true for young, single teachers whose expectations of marriage in the next few years mostly become dashed with their island placements (except the female teachers who have a ray of hope in me).

Today was the day that five Zamami teachers left after their two-five years. Tomorrow their replacements come. There have been a couple goodbye parties in the last week and lots of present-giving (I got four presents: a tie and three hand towels... I don't get it either). I slipped a loaf of homemade cinnamon bread and some enlarged Zamami photographs to my departing English teacher today.


[This is the happiest I have ever seen the Zamami secretary.]

One neat tradition that is only possible on an island is the 'streamer holding.' No, that's not the official name. But those who are saying their final goodbyes hold one end of a streamer while somebody on Zamami holds the other. As the boat pulls away the streamers tighten and eventually break. I am falling in love with Zamami so much that I could see myself crying at a moment like this (except I don't cry).


[Hopefully they recycled those streamers.]

No comments: