Friday, January 16, 2009

Lessons in Baking

Baking has become a centerpiece of my English teaching. It comes highly requested and this week is the fifth lesson (pizza is scheduled next week and cinnamon bread the following week). I'm not very good at actually incorporating English learning, but I'm good at the baking part. This week we tried a twist (that is a brilliant pun, by the way) on my cinnamon bread recipe with all three grades of Aka junior high. It was a good idea, until we got to the third class (8th graders) and their only job was to watch the finished product rise and then put it in the oven. Oh well, they still got to eat.

[Spreading the cinnamon sugar is a great opportunity for micromanagement, especially when your mother is overseeing. We had five different parents come to watch]

[Ready for the oven]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great way to make use of the ubiquitous home ec rooms in Japanese schools. I always l liked to visit that room whenever I had a chance to (for samples).

Dave said...

Ha, it seems like I am the only one who makes use of the rooms! In 1.5 years, I have never seen them used for anything other than my baking...