Friday, January 30, 2009

A Magic Show!

Two days ago the 幼稚園 (kindergarten) teachers at Zamami asked me to do a magic show today for the celebration of January birthdays. So.. uh, how do I do magic? Google, of course.

["this is your card, right?"]

My first trick was to pour some water into a mug, cover it with the magic handkerchief, then turn the mug over and have two ice cubes fall out. Second and third were card tricks, one with a stacked deck and the other with a sleight of hand that made me really nervous (but I pulled it off). Fourth I rolled up a one and two-dollar bill that were overlapping and when I unrolled them, they'd switched places. And lastly, I coordinated with one of the teachers to guess which of the seven objects on the table the student had chosen while I was out of the room. It all worked perfectly and now I want to do a little more magic trick investigation for further shows.

[the 3/4-year-olds in the first row, then 5-year-olds, then 6-year-olds with the birthday students wearing crowns]

6 comments:

Laura said...

So, from your blog it seems like your lessons are more about culture than language. Maybe the language classes don't take such good pictures.

Anonymous said...

CHAMPION in the back row is terrified by your American voodoo.

Emily Boland said...

Do they force children in Japan to all wear the same shoes?

Dave said...

Laura, good point. I do some fun games in language classes (which are 98% of my lessons). I should probably document those more.

Saxtor, I had just announced to the crowd that my next trick was to make CHAMPION disappear.

Emily, The kids wear the same shoes through sixth grade, but they're allowed to wear whatever they want above that. Once they reach junior high, they have to wear uniforms (and they have summer/winter uniforms), but they get to wear whatever shoes they want.

Unknown said...

Speaking of shoes, are you wearing flip flops with socks? Just wondering.
P.S. Bought my tickets to J-town this afternoon!

Dave said...

J, I AM wearing flip-flops with socks. Stay tuned for an upcoming post on that..

Yay for you coming to Japan! Dates?