Friday, May 15, 2009

Goat Hunting

Today at school a teacher came up to me and asked if I was busy at 4pm. I said no, so he invited me along with a bunch of the teachers and some locals to take a boat trip out to the small Agenashiku Island in front of Zamami. There is a population of goats living on the island that belong to the PTA and our task was to catch a couple for a party next week. I will never turn down an opportunity for a good chase, so I was pretty psyched.

The goats were in a perfect place for easy capture when we arrived, but our vice-principal did a great job scaring them to the ugliest part of the island.

[Closing in, there are nine goats in the herd]


[How do you catch goats alive? Same way you catch fish!]

We had about 15 people, but we weren't oriented well for pushing (driving) the goats towards the nets. I got bored just standing around so I sneaked away and crawled through the brush to get up on a knob that wasn't being covered. It turned out I was in the most important position for the remaining 2.5 hours of chasing. At least five times I was within 10 feet of goats. If I'd known how hard it would be to get them going towards the nets I would have tried harder to just catch a goat with my bare hands.

We did get two live goats, and I ended with a zillion scratches and about a kilogram less sweat.

[No longer a willing participant]

[Goats: easily trained]

[Wait, you're going to eat us next week?]

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Those goats are so cute! I have to admit that when I saw the subject of this blog, I thought you were going to tell us about how you kayaked to the island and killed one of the goats!

Anonymous said...

食べられちゃうなんて、かわいそうなヤギ!
あなたもヤギを食べちゃったの??