Monday, February 11, 2008

A Better Day

The winds have pretty consistently blown on weekends this winter, keeping me and my kayak homebound. The wind didn't get a 2008 calendar, however, and wasn't aware that today was part of a three-day weekend. I jumped on the lapse and went out kayaking, taking my fishing pole but not really having any goals for the trip.

I ended up on a beach on the north shore of Aka. I could see Zamami and even hear the noon bells, but this beach isn't accessible by any roads so I was as remote as could be. I explored for about two hours, discovering a trail up to one of Aka's dams and sneaking up on some endangered Kerama deer. No real beach treasures, but it was fun looking.


This is the beach. My kayak is out there on the far end.


It has been so long since someone has been on this beach that the sand has weathered into ripples from the wind and rain.


Zamami village is straight ahead.


I thought this was pretty cool how the water washed this coral up into a wall.


Endangered Kerama deer.

No comments: