Friday, February 22, 2008

Fading Hopes

I have been training for Sunday's Okinawa City Marathon for six months. I ran two marathons in the fall, but this one has been the real goal since August. So when I woke up with a cold Monday morning I panicked. I've overcome shoe and leg issues, powered through sheets of rain and driving winds, and made a habit of a 9pm bedtime for all of my time in Japan. I've been astounded by my discipline in sticking to the goal and especially excited to see the results of a faster training plan.

But soreness, stuffiness, and weakness have not left my body. I've resigned to the fact that I will not be running at 100% 36 hours from now. It's hugely disappointing in a way that it feels out of my hands. Like the boats being canceled. I've trained hard and my body is in spectacular running condition; it's unfortunate that my average one sickness per year chose this week.

It's not all bad, however. Yesterday morning at daybreak I was circling past the last observatory on my 8k route and something funny happened. I snorted a nice mucous wad(?) into my mouth and spat it out over my right shoulder. But it didn't make it past my shoulder. Just as I tried to unwind it all with my left hand I caught movement of people - the first people I've seen on my running route in months (exception: cat feeders)! And they were the Olympians! Walking up to check out the wind conditions, I presume. The moment of passing lasted just 3-4 seconds and I only mustered an 'ohao gozaimasu', but it felt great to be in their presence, if fleetingly. I spent the rest of my run contemplating their staying in borrowed accommodations and teaching Zamami's little kids sailing while their competition is sleeping in altitude tents, eating scientifically designed meals, and sailing on Lake Placid.

I received clarification on their credentials and plans later in the day. The two women race as a pair and are currently ranked second in the world. They've been training on Zamami for a couple winters now and their rank has improved from the 60's to 16 to a second place finish at last year's world championships. They are leaving Monday and heading to Europe for a 12-race spring season before the Olympics. Their hope (obviously) is to go into the Olympics seeded as the favorites. I really hope they win.

And I hope 3:30 is in the cards for me Sunday.

No comments: