Sunday, February 3, 2008

Pictures from Aka


The Aka elementary students gathered in the library. There isn't enough space in the teachers' room, so I spend my down time split between here and the computer room.


There are three boys in the first grade class. Takahiro is following 'left, right, up, and down' instructions from his cohorts to dress his stick figure. He's also winking at you.


Setsubun was a holiday that fell this past week. All I know of it is that the 9th grade students go to the pre-school class dressed as evil spirits and the pre-schoolers throw beans to fend away the spirits. When the spirits get extra spiritual, all of the little boys gather behind me and cry. White man, beacon of comfort.


Throwing beans before crying.


The cafeteria with all of the students and teachers. A bonus of Aka and Geruma is that the food is prepared on Zamami for all three schools. So they send extra to Aka and Geruma. Which means I can get seconds. Which is great.


But only great if the food is good. This day it wasn't. There is something worthy of seconds about half the time. I agree with my friend Amy's recent post that Japanese food, for the most part, is terrible. It might be unfair for me to make my judgments on cafeteria experiences, but restaurants haven't been much better. It should be noted that I have really only experienced Japanese food in Okinawa. The ramen I had in Tokyo was awesome, but ramen doesn't really count as cultural fare.

6 comments:

Wren said...

Ramen is the epitome of Japanese culture fare.

Dave said...

How can it be the epitome of Japanese cultural fare if they don't even sell Top Ramen?

nchan said...

ah, dave. leave behind all notions of ramen as you know it from palau. japanese ramen is the real thing. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Unknown said...

Oden? You don't like Oden?! Sato imo, konnyaku, carrots, some neon pink fish cake, what more could you ask for? Japanese food? The entire category?

Amy said...

I usually have trouble finishing my lunch. And you want seconds! Too bad we don't work at the same school.

Dave said...

amy, we'd make a good team; you could teach my five classes and i could finish your lunch.