Friday, February 15, 2008

That's A Whole Lotta Photographs!

Today I took my 5000th picture in Japan. Here it is:

I agree it's not a very spectacular photo, but that's exactly why I have taken 5000 pictures. At the very beginning of my photography career there was a photo contest in Palau that I entered (got a sympathetic honorable mention!). At the awards ceremony one of the winners said something that I will never forget, "The difference between professionals and amateurs is that I (a professional) take a lot more pictures." I was shooting film in Palau and ended up taking around 3000 photos in two years. I thought that was a lot.

If I see a scene I like I try to take as many photos as possible. Chances are good the angle I first 'saw the shot' from is not the best, so I alter that and height and exposure and distance/lens length. This is a reason that switching to digital was so attractive.

Today I took 160 pictures in about 10 minutes with the kindergartners. Most will just end up sitting in a folder on my computer, but here are a few I liked:





3 comments:

nchan said...

how was your valentine's day??

Emadch Beck said...

Beautiful shots! Congratulations on reaching 5000! I wonder if you can calculate how much of your life you will have spent taking photographs!

margaret said...

I love your photos and stories. They give me such a sense of life in a different part of the world. Thanks