Saturday, May 17, 2008

Baking With Kindergartners

I was recruited this week by the kindergarten sensei to teach her students how to bake cookies. Word got out and some of the ladies requested that I concurrently show them how to make my bread.

Considering everything that could've gone wrong with a temperamental experiment such as cookies (like managing the butter in 80 degree heat while waiting for every kindergartner to stir the batter after each addition), the resulting cookies turned out nicely. We got the cookies in baking and had just enough extra batter that I was able to plop a blob on every kid's hand. I tried to insert some cultural exchange and let the kids lick the spoons, but the teacher would have none of that.

We also let the kids knead the bread dough, though that was more of a punching bag session. At lunch time the kitchen lady cut everything up and split it evenly amongst everybody. Good times!