Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Great Volleyball Tournament

Today's volleyball tournament, combined with the fact that I no longer have internet at home, is why I've been a little absent from the blog this week. Volleyball practices started in January and have been picking up steam ever since, culminating in four practices this past week.

So needless to say, I was extremely disappointed to find out that after we barely lost our 9am game we were done for the day. That was a lot of practice for just 20 minutes of volleyball. I spent the next two hours being bored by the Zamami men's and women's 'A' teams, who both have won the championships something like ten years in a row. Their teams are stacked with all the best talent and it's less than fun watching them crush the 'B' teams. But it gave me good reason to pull hard (quietly) for Aka's teams. I wouldn't dare cheer out loud for them - even though I teach on all three islands I live on Zamami so I'd be a traitor to voice support elsewhere. But maybe they got my vibes because both the Aka men's and women's teams knocked off Zamami's teams in what was apparently a huge upset.


Anyway, it was a lot of fun. It was easily the most competitive sporting event of the year and it brought out pretty much everybody (and by that, I mean about 200+ people). Even some of the tourism staff was able to get the day off work to participate.

And, of course, with large crowds come good chances to observe awesome attire. Like these pants:

And these shirts...



This next shirt got me in a little trouble a few weeks back. I have a bantering relationship with this married woman and so at practice one night I repeated her shirt back to her. But she didn't know what the shirt said. And neither did the half-dozen people around who heard me tell her I loved her. One guy told me to "back off" in an "it's an inside joke for everybody but you and her" way. Ha. ha.

2 comments:

Son of Higashi said...

The volleyball craze has been pretty strong recently. Was disappointed to see Men's Nippon blow a 5-point lead in the fourth set last night, eventually to lose to Italy.

I'm with you, though, in that it's only fair to let people know what exactly it is they're wearing on their bodies sometimes.

Amy said...

Anyone who has studied 6+ years of English should be able to read and understand that shirt...

Which reminds me that a vice principal at one of my schools often wears a shirt that says "I scored last night." There's a picture of a basketball on the back, but I wonder if he understands the double meaning. He used to be an English teacher.