Thursday, May 1, 2008

My Parents!

My parents and sister arrived Sunday for a 10-day visit. We stayed in Naha on Monday and went fishing out of the Okinawa mainland on Tuesday. The weather was terrible with huge waves that kept my dad throwing up and my sister sleeping inside. Of the seven of us (of which three didn't fish), we caught 59 yellowfin tuna and bonita.

Wednesday we caught the ferry to Aka where we took the fish fillets to the fishing co-op for vacuum packing and freezing. They will store the fish for the next few months while I gradually take packages away every time I am teaching on Aka or Geruma.


We went to Geruma school Wednesday afternoon and had a class with all seven elementary students and sixth period with the three junior high students. Today on Aka we had two elementary classes, a junior high class, and a speech contest. In a month a representative from each of the three schools will go to Naha for a speech contest. Today the Aka English teacher wisely made use of the four native English speakers and had us serve as judges.

4 comments:

lynn said...

Hi Dave,
Your dad got sick on the boat trying to fish? oh no. Did he have some beverages before he boarded that boat?? Also, it does not look like he's paying attention in the school room picture!! Have a great time with the fam. Can you get in the picture?! Love auntie lynn

yanger said...

Hi Dave-san
5/5(Mon)2pm~ .Your visit is OK.
What do you come to Asa with?
Could you tell me your schedule?
Ichimura

Anonymous said...

hi. i stumbled upon your blog while searching for tefl and tesl material. it's nice to read something fresh about teaching kids english. by the way, i'm a malaysian teaching english to 16- 17 years old high school students. found it really hard to teach english to them though it is not a foreign language for them, it's a second language in my country. maybe you have a few tips to share in terms of teaching and learning activities?

thanks.

regards,

fifa, malaysia

Dave said...

Lynn, I'll try to get some more pictures of me up here! sorry..

Fifa, I don't know how much advice I can give you on high school students as my lesson planning maxes out on 6th grade students. But check out mes-english.com. It's a bit hard to navigate, but the worksheets section is loaded with good games and ideas. If you want to talk more leave your email and I can write to you.