Monday, May 12, 2008

Kurara Chibana

At the Geruma lunch table today one of the male teachers asked if I'd heard of Kurara Chibana. I hadn't. Then he told me she was the first runner-up at the 2006 Miss Universe competition. Cool, I guess. Then he pointed outside and said "she's right over there."

It turns out her grandfather is from Geruma. She was raised in Naha and brought fame to Geruma (via a television crew and, well, her) by visiting last summer (a week before I arrived). Today she came only with her boyfriend, but word got out quickly. I pressured some male teachers until somebody relented. Geruma is really small, but we actually ran a couple hundred meters to catch up as she toured the small rice paddy.

I did feel a little bad intruding on her visit with her grandmother, especially because her life is undoubtedly filled with people asking for pictures. I tried to mix up the small talk a bit, but I mostly failed because I was so overwhelmed by her presence (and smell). She is truly a superior specimen.

I did step up and drop a line (in Japanese) I just learned Saturday, asking if she has a boyfriend. It was kind of a dumb question since her boyfriend was standing next to her and she understands English. But really, there's nobody better to practice on.

6 comments:

Cliff said...

How'd you size up against the boyfriend? You get her number?

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave...

Is her boyfriend a Japanese or Caucasian?

Darn...

Dave said...

me versus her boyfriend... hmm. my camera was better. but he was more male model than me. and more fluent in japanese. and stylish. he appeared to be of japanese ethnicity, but he is actually from california (santa something - i wasn't really paying attention).

Anonymous said...

Who does Kurara Chibana's Beau look like?

Any japanese stars?

He looks anything like Takeshi Kaneshiro?

Dave said...

Mm, Kurara's boyfriend. Not to be cliche here, but I really didn't look at him much. He appeared to be of Japanese descent, approximately 6', perfect English. I feel like I remember his hair being about 4" long or so? I had to look up that Kaneshiro-san and no, he didn't look that male modelish. But she also didn't resemble the pictures I've seen of her from Miss Universe. To be honest, they both were just dressed down above-average-looking people.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave-Sensei,

From your recollections, does Kurara Chibana's bf look like this guy in the background of this image?

http://inesligron.com/wordpress/askblog/img_3984.jpg