Saturday, May 24, 2008

As It Should Be

My new apartment is on the second floor of the teachers' housing by the water (there is also teachers' housing across from the school, which is at the back end of the village). There's an old building and a new building. Aside from being in the new building - I definitely don't have that kind of priority - I think I got the perfect apartment. The second floor provides a much better view and greater access to the wind. Also, I'm on the end, so my side windows provide a view (the other end of the building butts up against the new housing a mere three feet away).

I've slept at the new apartment twice and am pleased with the results: no cats, no dogs, and only one mosquito. I can hear crickets and waves and, so far, a consistent breeze. I haven't figured out the hot water yet, but the cold is warm enough that I might just be able to wait until October to worry about.

As my friend Jessica says, since I'm on a small island, now that I'm living by the water it's "as it should be" . Here's my new view:


7 comments:

Wren said...

Awesome! I'm jealous. Breezy, a view, and proximity - you have room for visitors, right?

Cliff said...

congrats on getting out of that house! although it was kinda cool that you had a house.

Dave said...

cliff, my new place is still a house, but more like a mormon house (minus the wives).

Anna said...

I take offense to that statement. What does that even mean? What's a mormon house?

Dave said...

sorry, more like a fundamentalist mormon house - a house with many residences.

Amy said...

How is a house with many residences different from an apartment building? Is it more like a duplex?

Dave said...

amy, it's an apartment building - i was just trying to slip a bad mormon joke in for my friend, anna, but i'm not really funny anymore. :(