Sunday, May 11, 2008

My New Manager

This is Ai-chan*:

I met Ai on the Aka -> Zamami boat a couple weeks ago and we've been writing (in Japanese) since. She came to stay over Friday night and see some of Zamami. Turns out there is a typhoon in the area, so there wasn't much seeing to be done. Turns out she also has a boyfriend (turns out almost everybody does) in some distant land, so there wasn't much courting to be done. But her English was pretty strong so we ended up baking pizza and cinnamon bread and talking a lot about the things people talk about. Like the opposite gender. I have designated her my new manager in charge of helping get me a Japanese girlfriend. She's also going to score me a pro deal on a new (or used, hopefully) diving mask.

*-chan is a word added to a female's name with whom you are considered friends. Often the full name is even shortened, like Noriko would become Nori-chan, Tomoko -> Tomo-chan. -kun is the male equivalent of this word, but it isn't used in the same endearing sense that I hear -chan used.

No comments: