Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Why I Like Running

I like that running is simple. I wake up, put on my little running wardrobe - with shoes and shorts being the only specialty items - step outside and go. I have nearly maxed out my accessory possibilities by utilizing an mp3 player and a heart rate monitor. And because there isn't much to running, it doesn't have to be expensive.

[my socks don't know that they look bad, they just keep on truckin']

Running can be done anywhere. If it were up to me, I'd show up every morning for a rowing practice, or go cross-country skiing or cycling. But all of those require specialized conditions, equipment, or teammates - none of which I have. But I can always run. Living on a small island in Palau, in the middle of Washington, DC, or here on another small island in Japan, as long as there are roads or trails there is running. (And I will argue that with only 14 kilometers of roads, cycling here is not a sane option.)


[My 2009/2010 shoe casualties. The leftmost pair will be worn in the marathon. I've finished off seven pairs of running shoes in three years. Anybody want some free size 11.5/29cm shoes?]

Running is cardiovascular. I believe strongly that breathing hard and elevating my heart rate is the best exercise I can get. Weightlifting or walking (unless it's 2500 miles at a time) aren't for me. It hurts more to struggle at the high end of a workout, but my day feels better for it. I also like that in running it is so easy to step up the difficulty. I can always run faster or choose steeper hills once my body acclimates to the current pace.

4 comments:

Wren said...

Dude, I got a great idea for those shoes!! Find me on IM and we'll talk...

Christen said...

I like running too! And I like reading about you running!!

Anonymous said...

I like this post. I have those socks too, not as holey though!

Dave said...

Kate, keep wearing them for three years!