Monday, September 15, 2008

Running Log, 9/9 - 9/15

9/9 5:22am: 13k, 1:10.17
9/10 6:08am: 5k, 27.04.2
9/11 5:23am: 14k, 1:14.01
9/12 5:24am: 13k, 1:10.01
9/13 7:22am: 5k, 26:18.6
9/14 5:36am: 13k, 1:10.07
Total: 63km

I was scheduled to run 26k on Sunday, but I’ve had persisting knee problem the last couple months and it was really hurting for the last 10k, so I quit. This is obviously really scary, but I am not sure what to do. I gave it a couple long breaks during the summer but they didn’t seem to help much. Visiting a doctor isn’t easy so I decided to run on it and see if that helped (my thought process: I'm ‘strengthening’ it). My plan is to keep running with a lot of extra stretching (how do you stretch a knee?).

3 comments:

Son of Higashi said...

On my summer trip, when I got off the plane in Nagoya, my left knee was all gimped. It has lasted a month, but I can run slowly.

I can't, however, participate in karate or other activities that require quick & full extension of the leg. And my PE teachers said not to stretch the suspected tendon, just to give it two months and take it easy.

Good luck, man.

Laura said...

Careful on that knee. I think you should see a doc. A sports doc. Some one who's a runner and can help you get better without telling you to just stop til it gets better on its own.

Dave said...

Seeing a sports doctor is my ideal solution, but also really, really hard. It takes a $50 boat ticket, 2 days of vacation, and a night in Naha. All of that is okay, but the deterrent at this point is the language. There are doctors who speak English, but they don't happen to be the sports doctors. I could try to speak Japanese to a sports doctor and I'd get my point across fine, but this is such an important issue that I want to be really clear about everything. Just like you said, Laura, I want to make sure they know I am going to keep on running and I need something (not recurring doctor treatment b/c that isn't possible) that takes that into account. I'm still debating what to do.
Yesterday I ran 13k with 100% attention to the knee and it fared well, so maybe I can 'therapy' it back myself.