Friday, September 12, 2008

Typhoon Preparation

I went home on Wednesday and sat on my balcony, watching the typhoon preparations and feeling like a bit of a jerk.  There I was, feeling sorry for myself for all my wasted beach cleanup party plans, when I really was losing nothing from it.  I still get a paycheck this month, I still get my weekend.  The economy of Zamami, however, which is based almost entirely on the sea, suffers immensely from the lost income of a September three-day weekend.

Today is Friday and it's looking bad.  All of the high-speed ferries will be canceled and the big ferry probably will be as well.  As far as I know, nearly everybody at every hotel and dive operation has canceled.  That's thousands of dollars for each place.  A big hit.  But also Mother Nature.  Your business is sure to encounter occasional tough times when it is weather-dependent.


[Nearly all boats are pulled out of the water by now. Only a couple sailboats remain and they are tied up well away from the sea walls with tons of anchors and ropes to various points ashore.]

[Just before the rain]

[Heavy rain, severely limited visibility]

No comments: