Friday, September 5, 2008

Women In Waders

Two winters ago I was working on a cattle/sheep ranch in a small town in Montana. Two brothers own the ranch, one is single and the other has a wife and two kids. I always stay with John, the bachelor, when I work there. He’s older but is very spry and has amazing wit. We went in to the annual Townsend Christmas party, which was a collection of service clubs and local businesses selling hot food and Christmas wares. At one of the stores we made a huge discovery, something we’d never expect in Townsend but only expect in Townsend: a Babes and Billiards calendar. The photography wasn’t spectacular and neither were the girls, so we agreed it would be best to wait to purchase until late January when the calendar was heavily discounted.

It was while I was at the ranch that winter that I drove into the school every day for a week to work on my JET essays. I completed my application at the ranch, including an overnighted letter of recommendation from Washington, DC that arrived the day before the application was due (so I overnighted it right back to DC). John likes cooking so I promised him that if I got into JET I would buy him some fancy soy sauce from Japan. I did that in April when my parents visited and they took it home to mail to him.

When I returned from my mainland Japan trip I had an unexpected large envelope from John. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Women in Waders calendar inside. Lacking professional photography, attractive models, and graphic design, the calendar makes up for its shortcomings by showcasing some nice steelhead.





[even a centerfold!]

No comments: