Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Typhoon Bonus

Typhoons aren't all bad. The cool people (seasonal workers) on island all get a couple days off. They hang out in large, circular, beer-drinking groups in the evening and look for waves during the day. I regrettably didn't pursue surfing enough in Palau to say I'm a surfer. I'm still in beginner stage. It would be a bit presumptuous of me to pursue a borrowed board for learning, so instead I volunteered to be the photographer. Not exactly where I wanted to be, but hopefully an 'in'. It seemed to work - that evening I think they pinned down a guy who has a board 'big enough' for me. Just need some more waves. (The typhoon has turned back and hopefully some waves will be coming in again tomorrow.)







2 comments:

Son of Higashi said...

Bottom two shots, taken with...?

Dave said...

100-400mm, f/4.5-5.6, both at 400mm which, with the crop factor, makes it about 640mm. 2/3 of the shots were trashed because they were out of focus, though. shooting surfing from a boat is really freakin' hard.