Monday, September 1, 2008

Thirty Years Old

Yesterday was my 30th birthday. Kind of a big deal, right? Well, not really. Last year my office bought me a cake a couple days before August 31st, making that the first ‘celebrated’ birthday of mine since Laura Miyakawa organized a crew party on my 21st birthday in college.

So it wasn’t a surprise yesterday when nobody remembered. The best interaction happened when I made myself a cake and took a few pieces to my boss, who asked me whose birthday it was.

I think a 30th birthday is worthy of a little reflection, so here are some stats and thoughts:

Birthday height: 182cm (5’11.5”)
weight: 84.5kg (186 pounds)
heart rate low: 34 beats per minute
I didn’t want to see how high I could get it.

Coolest thing I’ve done in my life so far: hike the Pacific Crest Trail
Uncoolest thing: traveling SE Asia (not that it’s uncool, it’s just not for me)
Most interesting job: winter sheepherder in Montana
Least interesting job: health club desk attendant
Most life-changing experience: Peace Corps
Serious hobbies: hunting, fishing, running, photography, letter writing (the last three weren’t on my list ten years ago)
Places lived (defined as having received mail): Japan, Palau, Pohnpei (Federated States of Micronesia), Alaska, Washington, California, Montana, Idaho, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C.
Most surprising life evolutions: playing [cheap] Blackjack, no further interest in the financial industry, the extent of my commitment to using less, eating raw fish, running fast(ish) marathons

[Will you look this good when you`re 30?]


Ten years ago where would I have envisioned myself now? I know I thought of such things, but hesitated to speculate. I think I would have dreamt of adventure, but not to the extent that I’ve lived it. The only glaring difference between the vision and my current reality is the lack of a wife and kids. I didn’t hope for such a situation, I think I just expected it. Twenty years old was back in the day when I thought the American Dream was what happened to everybody.

Where will I be in ten years? I know better than to answer that. The only tangible goals I have are to hike the Continental Divide Trail and New Zealand’s Te Araroa trail. I’d like to go on a long bike ride someday. Perhaps spend some time in South America. Maybe buy a piece of property somewhere so I can have a home base. Plant some food, live semi-sustainably. I want to remain competitive athletically, though I am depressed that in four-five years I will pretty much be out of my athletic prime for everything. That is the only reminder I have of being older. Well, that and pretty soon girls graduating from college won’t be in my range anymore. Right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday David! Melody and I thought about you turning 30 but it was about 9:30-10:00 at night so she quickly sent off an email to you with Birthday Wishes and Cousin Kisses...... Hope it was a good one!!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Dave! I love the stats. I have a year to come up with a list for myself.
Patton Oswalt has a humorous take on birthdays, and you should be celebrating this one in style, because you don't get another until 40.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rGrsmvBHMw
(forgive the course language, if that's not your thing. The birthday part starts at 2:40. The part before that is just crass.)

Laura said...

Was 21 the birthday where we kidnapped you? Ah, that was a great time. You put up such a fight.

You've got plenty of time to remain in your athletic prime, especially for running. Have you considered triathlon? Ironman takes all types.

Dave said...

Saxtor, that audio clip is awesome!

Laura, that WAS the birthday. You never suspected that party would have such a lasting impact in my life, did you? The Last Great Party.

I have thought a lot about triathlon and if only my island was a tad bigger, I'd train for our Okinawa Strongman (equivalent distances to Ironman, but not officially sanctioned through them). Swimming and running are fine, but biking here would drive me insane.